Here at Leadership Lime we are all about the necessity of Leadership Characteristics. Why? You might ask - well, they are the basis of all decisions, choices and importance throughout all leadership. John Steinbeck once said;
"It has always seemed strange to me... the things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second."
This is a bit of a confronting quote to add in here but it's where this section starts. No one expects you as a leader to not want success but we must, as responsible influencers, hold true to the honour that our position deserves. You are accountable to the people you lead to identify what kind of leader you want to be! Absorb GREAT leadership characteristics.
"Leadership consists not in degrees of technique but in traits of character; it requires moral rather than athletic or intellectual effort, and it imposes on both leader and follower alike the burdens of self-restraint." - Lewis S. Lapham
Important Opportunity: We have developed a section which is a six step guide to better leadership. Maybe you want to invest in yourself at the beginning of 2013? Or you feel like you want to develop into a better leader. This is specifically designed for you to get a good grasp of some important leadership tips and techniques which incorporate some of our best resources.
Leadership Characteristics Articles
Qualities of a Good Leader
The foundations of Leadership shouldn't be skipped over. The next step of unleashing your leadership potential will start here by evaluating the list of qualities expected from every high level leader.
What are some important leadership characteristics?
- Honour - This is an exceptional characteristic to possess. Honour allows for leaders to have the kind of character that people can admire and trust. It opens the door to accountability and that is essential whilst leading a team. This integrity should be an irrevocable leadership characteristic.
- Transformation and Transactional - There will always be times in which you need to initiate and develop change. Transformation leadership is a brilliant leadership style to have and know about, read through the article and look at ways in which you can affect transformation. Transactional leadership is it's counterpart which is usually used in management environments, however there are particular uses for leaders.
- Likeableness - This may sound a little hokey and you definitely don't need to be likeable to be a leader but you should be likeable to be a great leader. The sphere of influence you have decides your growth and development as a leader - therefore the more people who want to be around you the greater the area of influence. Remember the simple fact that for a leader to be a leader, you must have people to lead!
- Creativeness - You need to be creative! not Picasso or Mozart but the creative leader you are/can be. You need to be creative to problem solve, conflict resolve and innovate as a leader.
- Communicativenss - That's a leadershiplime made word but you get the idea! You're constantly communicating something thats where verbal or non-verbal but in everyday life and all the time we are communicating to people around us. You will never realise how the way you communicate really affects the people around you. Good communication can give you a lot of grace as a leader and bad communication will not make you any friends.
- Innovation - Although we've partially covered this in creativity innovation has defined the 'bar' when it comes to world-changing leaders. We would suggest at leadership lime that without innovation leadership turns surprisingly closer to management! Be innovative and enjoy the journey it reveals.
- Avoid Bad Leadership Traits - Sometimes you need to take a step back from reading about good leadership traits and realize what the bad ones are. Bad leadership traits must be identified and worked on no matter which stage of leading you're on.
- Principle Centered Leadership - Explore this concept of leadership that Stephen Covey promoted. Sometimes leaders need to have a utopian passion for better leading from within. Principle centered leadership will surely open your mind to that.
These are a brief survey of
leadership qualities but some key foundations that you as a leader
should adapt and keep in mind. As this is an introductory page of some
things we want to build upon I would strongly suggest that you look at
our personal leadership section to build some more foundations.
Moving on from there invest in some of our leadership characteristics in team leadership - this is a section which will be broadened in the near future and we're really excited about it!
We're committed to your growth and development. With our experience
in leadership we're constantly looking at new material/content to
outline and display for your benefit. If there's a specific area you'd
us to tackle then please use our contact us page to write in - please be specific as possible.
Just got a question about leadership? Use our leadership FAQ.
It goes without question to say that checking out and subscribing to our leadership characteristics blog!